Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Carolina Painting Sabbatical




I am down here in Washington, North Carolina executing two projects, one of which is locking myself in the 'barn' and painting frantically. A little adventure I have been calling the Carolina Painting Sabbatical.

I am mostly making painting based off of line drawings I did in New York and have a still life set up that stares me in the face.

What I have learned:

1. Really, only paint with earth tones
2. Make a nice under painting!
3. the color gradient of a good painting is really so tight, so subtle
4. if you mess up, just wipe it off with a towel and keep at it
5. finish a painting a day, prepare one for the following day
6. the most important quality of a painting, is that it be alive, that the viewer sees life, that your activity bears witness to the perception of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment